Dulce Rodrigues, writer
IT HAPPENED IN JULY
- 01 - Canada's National Day: celebration of the creation of the Canadian Confederation in 1867.
- 04 - United States National Day: celebration of the independence in 1776.
- 05 - Venezuela's National Day: celebration of the signature of the independence act by Miranda in 1811.
- 05 - Cape Verde Islands National Day: celebration of the independence in 1975 of this Portuguese African colony.
- 08, 1497 - With a fleet of 4 vessels - S. Gabriel, S. Rafael, Bérrio and a caravel carrying foodstuff -
Vasco da Gama leaves to India where he arrived on May 20, 1498.
This extraordinary maritime adventure confirmed the direct communication between the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans,
therefore putting an end to the old idea that the Indian Ocean was an interior sea.
The repercussions of its findings added significantly in the practical combination of scientific and technical knowledge,
resulting in the construction of new instruments and weapons, and the development of new scientific methods of astronomical observation.
The sea voyages undertaken by the Portuguese provided a means for the circulation of
navigational knowledge and techniques, some of these already used by them long before the maritime expansion.
Portugal opened the way to a variety of human objectives like the development of other lands and new markets,
a broader understanding of different people and cultures, and the wakening of a curiosity for the botanical and
zoological diversity of a living world unknown to the Europeans until then.
Map of the Indian Ocean
- 14 - France's National Day: celebration of the taking of the Bastille in 1789.
- 17, 1808 - Helped by the British troops under the command of General Arthur Wellesley (later Duke of Wellington),
the Portuguese troops defeat the invading French army at Roliça. Three days later, the combined forces of the Portuguese and the British
again won a victory over the French general Junot at Vimieiro.
- 21 - Belgium's National Day: celebration of the independence when Leopold I took the oath as first king of Belgium in 1831.
- 22 - Poland's National Day: anniversary of the Polish Committee of national liberation in 1944.
- 24, 1833 - The Portuguese constitutionalist forces under the command of general António José de Noronha,
future duke of Terceira, marched on Lisbon and liberated the city from the absolutists faithful to king Miguel I.
- 25, 1139 - King Afonso Henriques defeats the Moors on the plains of Ourique. This victory very much contributed to the consolidation
of his independence before Afonso VII of Leon and Castile. For some historians, this date represents the actual date
of the independence of the kingdom of Portugal.
- 28, 1914 - The Austro-Hungarian Empire declares war to Serbia as a result of the murder at Sarajevo, on 28 June 1914,
of the archduke Friedrich-Ferdinand, heir to the throne. This incident led to World War I.
One of the most important dates in a person's life is our own birthday.
Would you like to know how much time has passed since that day?
Enjoy yourself making the calculation