Dulce Rodrigues, writer
IT HAPPENED IN OCTOBER
- 01 - China's National Day: anniversary of the proclamation of the People's Republic in 1949.
- 04, 1669 - The flemish painter Rembrandt dies in Amsterdam.
- 05, 1910 - Revolution of 1910: the murder of Dr. Miguel Bombarda, a distinguished republican physician, on October 3rd,
precipitates the revolution that had been organized to take place in Lisbon ten days later. The republican soldiers,
aided by armed civilians and by the warships in the Tejo river, became masters of the capital.
The king escaped and a provisional government was formed under the presidency of Teófilo Braga.
- 12 - Spain's National Day: anniversary of the discovery of America by Colombo in 1492.
- 12, 1810 - 3rd fortified Line of Torres Vedras: While other European countries were still under Napoleon's power,
Portugal was the only rebelling force against his army. After being defeated at the battle of Buçaco
on September 27, the French general Massena marched over Coimbra, which he took and devastated.
Meanwhile, the allied army of Portuguese and British forces moved to the fortified lines
that had been built at Torres Vedras some few months earlier to protect Lisbon.
The 3rd fortified line was in fact the first to be occupied by the allied army on October 12, 1810.
- 21, 1147 - Lisbon is conquered from the Moors by the first Portuguese king, Afonso Henriques.
Left, watercolour painting by the Portuguese painter Roque Gameiro
- 21 - Greece's National Day: celebration of the resistance opposed by Metaxas against the Italian army in 1940.
- 22 - National Day of the State of Vatican's: anniversary of the inthronisation of Pope John-Paul II.
- 24 - United Nations International Day.
- 26 - Austria's National Day: anniversary of the constitutional law of 1950. The Allies had recognized the II federal Republic of Austria on April 27 1945
but until 1955 the country was occupied by allied military troops.
- 29 - Turkey's National Day: anniversary of the proclamation of the republic by Mustafa Kemal, called "Atatürk", in 1923.
- 30, 1340 - Battle of Salado: King Afonso IV of Portugal brought a strong Portuguese army to help the Castilians
against the Moors of Granada and their African allies. In the victory won by the Christians on the banks of the
river Salado, near Tarifa, in the today's province of Cadiz, Afonso IV no doubt earned his nickname of The Brave.
- 31 - Halloween
One of the most important dates in a person's life is our own birthday.
Would you like to know how much time has passed since that day?
Enjoy yourself making the calculation